Saturday, November 27, 2010

Review for 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson

"13 Little Blue Envelopes"


Author: Maureen Johnson
Publisher: Harper Collens
Source: Public Library
320 pages

When Ginny receives thirteen little blue envelopes and instructions to buy a plane ticket to London, she knows something exciting is going to happen. What Ginny doesn't know is that she will have the adventure of her life and it will change her in more ways than one. Life and love are waiting for her across the Atlantic, and the thirteen little blue envelopes are the key to finding them in this funny, romantic, heartbreaking novel. -Summary from Goodreads

   I enjoyed reading this book. But I did have a few problems with it. First off, Ginny's character needed more thoughts. The books contains her actions mostly. Also there was barely any background information about her. But I did appeal to her character even if it wasn't much to work with. Second, the plot is brilliant but I wish it had been executed a bit better. Maybe more exciting instructions? I was expecting more wild and crazy dares so to speak. These were just two things I picked out, but don't shove this book away! It may have some flaws but by the end I was a little touched. There was a bit of humor and a few twists inside there. It was a nice read and I do recommend you look into it! I gave this book 3 stars!

Excerpt:

Dear Ginger,

I have never been a great follower of rules. You know that. So it's going to seem a little odd that this letter is full of rules I've written and that I need you to follow.
"Rules to what?" you have to be asking yourself. You always did ask good questions.
  Remember how we used to play the "today I live in" game when you were little and used to come visit me in New York? (I think I liked "I live in Russia" best. We always played that one in winter. We'd go to see the Russian art collection at the Met, stomp through the snow in Central Park, then go to that little Russian restaurant in the Village that had those really good pickles and that weird hairless poodle who sat in the window and barked at cabs.)
   I'd like to play that game one more time—except now we're going to be a little more literal. Today's game is "I live in London." Notice that I have included $1,000 in cash in this envelope. This is for a passport, a one-way ticket from New York to London, and a backpack. (Keep a few bucks for a cab to the airport.)
   Upon booking the ticket, packing the backpack, and hugging everyone good-bye, I want you to go to New York City. Specifically, I want you to go to 4th Noodle, the Chinese restaurant under my old apartment. Something is waiting there for you. Go to the airport right from there.
   You will be gone for several weeks, and you will be traveling in foreign lands. These are the aforementioned rules that will guide your travels:
Rule #1: You may bring only what fits in your backpack. Don't try to fake it out with a purse or a carry-on. Rule #2: You may not bring guidebooks, phrase books, or any kind of foreign language aid. And no journals.
Rule #3: You cannot bring extra money or credit/debit cards, traveler's checks, etc. I'll take care of all that.
Rule #4: No electronic crutches. This means no laptop, no cell phone, no music, and no camera. You can't call home or communicate with people in the U.S. by Internet or telephone. Postcards and letters are acceptable and encouraged.

That's all you need to know for now. See you at 4th Noodle.
Love,
Your Runaway Aunt



1 comment:

  1. Great blog you have here! Thanks for stopping by my blog The Crazy Bookworm. I am your newest follower, can't wait to come back and read your future posts!

    Hope you had a good weekend:-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I read and appreciate every single one! I <3 to hear your thoughts so don't be afraid to say whats on your mind!!