Monday, February 28, 2011

Review for Matched by Ally Condie

Matched (Matched, #1)"Matched (Matched #1)

Author: Ally Condie
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Source: Personal Copy
Challenges: I'd Wish I'd Read That, For the Love of YA, 350 page
366 pages


"Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow." -Goodreads

 Now, this book has been getting many different reviews (and a lot of them at that). Some love it, others thought it was slow. I'm one of those that loved it. There was a huge amount of hype for this book over the internet, and in my opinion it lived up to it.

Ally Condie did a great job with the world building. To us, who have freedom, we can pick out things that aren't 'right' but to someone born into that world, I can see how they would be sastified. And Cassia was. This is one of the parts I enjoyed; how Cassia gradually realized that no, she didn't want to do as she was told. It's like two different Cassia's, in the beginning - obediant, in the end - wanting to choose for herself. I loved her as a main character! As well as dear Xander, her parents, Grandfather, Bram, and of course Ky! I loved Ky! His character fit really well, and his story was told amazingly. Now, I did feel terrible for Xander (he's so sweet) but I'm hoping somewhere in this series he gets the girl he wants. So, the characters were relatible, thought-out, and structured.


The plot, who doesn't like a good love trangle (technically it wasn't a triangle but still) I really enjoyed it. 
Ally Condie's writing style is off the charts! I loved the fact in how she incorperated poetry into the story. It was beautifully done. Along the way I did experience some gasps, like 'oh no!' which kept it interesting.

To keep this review short, overall awesome read.... I highly recommend it to everyone! This book was on my mind all the time (as any good book) and leaves me wanting more! I can't wait for the release of Crossed! Don't go down gentle Cassia (if you've read it, you know what I mean)!

Excerpt:

The announcer calls another name; another girl stands up.
Soon, more and more people at the Banquet have little silver boxes.
Some people set them on the white tablecloths in front of them, but most hold the boxes carefully, unwilling to let their futures out of their hands so soon after receiving them.
I don't see any other girls wearing the green dress. I don't mind. I like the idea that, for one night, I don't look like everyone else.
I wait, holding my compact in one hand and my mother's hand in the other. Her palm feels sweaty. For the first time, I realize that she and my father are nervous, too.
"Cassia Maria Reyes."
It is my turn. I stand up, letting go of my mother's hand, and turn toward the screen. I feel my heart pounding and I am tempted to twist my hands the way Lea did, but I hold perfectly still with my chin up and my eyes on the screen. I watch and wait, determined that the girl my Match will see on the screen in his City Hall somewhere out there in Society will be poised and calm and lovely, the very best image of Cassia Maria Reyes that I can present.
But nothing happens.
I stand and look at the screen, and, as the seconds go by, it is all I can do to stay still, all I can do to keep smiling. Whispers start around me. Out of the corner of my eye, I see my mother move her hand as if to take mine again, but then she pulls it back. A girl in a green dress stands waiting, her heart pounding. Me. The screen is dark, and it stays dark. That can only mean one thing.

4 comments:

  1. Still need to read this one! I imagine I'll probably fall under the "people who loved it" because I have a high tolerance for slow pacing in books. Really must read this one soon! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for your review :) Thanks for commenting Aylee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm I was thinking about getting this one yesterday. I'll definitely get it next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me know what you think, thanks for commenting Amanda!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I read and appreciate every single one! I <3 to hear your thoughts so don't be afraid to say whats on your mind!!