Thursday, September 15, 2011

Review for Incarceron by Catherine Fisher

Incarceron (Incarceron, #1)Incarceron
By Catherine Fisher
Published by Hodder Children's Books
Source: Public Library
Library Challenge
458 pages

"Incarceron -- a futuristic prison, sealed from view, where the descendants of the original prisoners live in a dark world torn by rivalry and savagery. It is a terrifying mix of high technology -- a living building which pervades the novel as an ever-watchful, ever-vengeful character, and a typical medieval torture chamber -- chains, great halls, dungeons. A young prisoner, Finn, has haunting visions of an earlier life, and cannot believe he was born here and has always been here. In the outer world, Claudia, daughter of the Warden of Incarceron, is trapped in her own form of prison -- a futuristic world constructed beautifully to look like a past era, an imminent marriage she dreads. She knows nothing of Incarceron, except that it exists. But there comes a moment when Finn, inside Incarceron, and Claudia, outside, simultaneously find a device -- a crystal key, through which they can talk to each other. And so the plan for Finn's escape is born ..." - Goodreads


Catherine Fisher took me on a crazy ride of emotions; from excited, terrified, curious, anxious, laughing, cringing to gasping... you name I probably did it. It took me until the next day to let go of my "Incarceron" brain, that story just kept rolling around in my head.

We start off with Finn who I really connected with in this book. He has a desire to find out who he was because he believes he was from the Outside. Nobody believes him besides Gildas who is a Sapienti (just ignore that part, I can't really explain it) but he really believes he was born Outside. Keiro is his oath brother who I found very annoying and haughty which I guess served his purpose. The main person to be concerned with is Finn and I found him likable because he used his brains and was not afraid to take action.

In the Outside world we have Claudia, who I liked for the most part. On the outside her personality is very confident and witty but since I could read her thoughts I knew it was all a fluke in a way. That made her more relatable. Jared is her tutor and I found his character charming. He protected her and cared about her safety. Then there was the Warden who is Claudia's father. I hated him in the beginning (as the reader should have) but by the end of the book things changed, we see his true feelings in a small way.  Regardless of Outside or Inside Incarceron, all characters added to the story.

The plot. Hmm this is a give or take situation. I found that some outcomes were predictable and you could guess where things were going. BUT on the other hand, there are major revealers in here that made me gasp. Yes, gasp. And there was so much action/tension that I found myself biting my lip (seriously, I actually hurt myself with all the anticipation) especially when Finn and Claudia started to communicate. That is why I liked the plot, it was full of action and secrets. On every page there was either something happening or interesting coversations going on. ... I also enjoyed how Catherine switched POV's with Finn and Claudia and sometimes other secondary characters.

I recommend this to those who like action packed, full of twists, mystery/fantasty, and romance books. I will definitely be picking up Sapphique if I can, I hear there is only two in this series so I am happy about that!

Excerpt:

"No! No. My name's Claudia. Who are you?"
"Quiet! They'll wake up."
"Who will?"
There was a pause. Then he said, "My friends." He sounded breathless, oddly terrified. "Who are you?" she said. "Where are you? Are you a Prisoner? Are you in Incarceron?"

He jerked his head back and stared at the Key in disbelief. There was a small blue light in the heart of it; he bent closer so that it lit his skin. "Of course I am. Do you mean... Are you... Outside?"
************
"I have to go," he said hurriedly. "I'll try and speak to you again... now we know... that is, if you want to. But you have to," he added urgently. "You have to help me."
The girls answer surprised him. "How can I help you? What can be wrong in a perfect world?"
Finn's hand tightened as the blue light faded. Desperately, he whispered. "Please. You have to help me Escape."

7 comments:

  1. Ooh, that sounds so good! I'll have to try it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I've been meaning to read this one! It's definitely a good sign if a book stays with you after you finish reading it. I love the concept especially. Hopefully I can read this soon... definitely before the supposed movie is made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Review! I'm really excited for this one, it sounds so good. Can't wait to get my hands on a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really loved this book too! I had a student that read the sequel and said it was pretty good, and he is NOT a reader!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shelby - I hope you get to! Thanks for commenting!

    Aylee - Yes, I would recommend reading it before the movie... never know if the movie spoils the book! lol Thanks for dropping me a line!

    Maria - I hope you get a chance! Thanks for reading!

    Michelle - Cool, I'm excited now! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it too! Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you loved the book. I tried and tried, but couldn't fall for it the way everyone seemed to be. I didn't like book 1 or 2 too much, didn't hate them, so I can see what people liked about them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear that you didn't like them :( Everyone likes something different right? Thanks for stopping by and following :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I read and appreciate every single one! I <3 to hear your thoughts so don't be afraid to say whats on your mind!!