Friday, May 11, 2012

Review for The Secret Life of Copernicus H. Stringfellow by Lorin K. Barber

The Secret Life of Copernicus H. StringfellowThe Secret Life of Copernicus H. Stringfellow
By Lorin K. Barber
Published by Sweetwater Books
Recieved ebook review copy from author (thanks!)
304 pages

"Copernicus H. Stringfellow, a.k.a. Nick, is not your run-of-the-mill genius. His mind is so powerful it can stop a speeding automobile or stem internal bleeding. As Nick goes about quietly doing good, he discovers that his powers are greatly enhanced by the nutrients present in Twinkies. Follow Nick on his amazing adventures in this humorous and exciting action-packed book for all ages." - Goodreads


The Secret Life of Copernicus H. Stringfellow is as unique as the title. The characters are unique the story is different and it is truly a book for all ages.

Copernicus H. Stringfellow, who goes by the name of Nick (thank the heavens!) is everything but what he seems. Nick's the kind of guy you wish you were neighbors with or was friends with or you know, married to. He's the sweetest, nicest, humblest, and smartest (he dominates that field) guy you'll never meet. Nick's a genius and not by the term used for Einstein or anything - its a whole different level. He can perform medical miracles with his mind and move objects around. Seems like a good guy to keep around when your in trouble. As he goes through his life he gains many friends as we see in this book. Sometimes it was hard to keep track of all the names but there were a few that stuck in my mind.

The book follows Nick on his adventures in Seattle. He's working at the hospital and buys a house that needs renovations. At work he meets another doctor, Press, who throws him for a loop. A little love interest for Mr. Stringfellow perhaps? Being honest here, I did have trouble getting through the book. It wasn't very exciting and didn't have anything to keep my attention. Since Nick is so smart, words and descriptions were used that completely flew over my head. At some points, I just didn't care too much anymore. I realize that the writing style is what makes Nick's voice unique but for an average girl like me, it makes it hard to get interested. Not to say that there isn't any interesting things that happen - there is but overall, I wasn't fully engaged.

I'd suggest this to those who like good natured books, one that -now this is a rarity- had a completely "good" guy as a hero. All his intentions are good and Nick is very well mannered. Like I said before, this is a read for all ages!

Excerpt:

"I told you to push it in after two seconds. You took 2.78," Nick said.
"Excuse me, I was distracted."
"Well, I hope you'll learn to concentrate better in the future."
"Sure, next time I'm going 300 miles per hour, I'll pay more attention."
The car slid to the left and grazed the sidewalk.
"We can't be doing a bit over 242."
"How do you know?"
"I calculated the top speed based on the fuel mixture, the gear ration, the weight of the vehicle, and the relative humidity."