Thursday, July 26, 2012

Review for Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Where She Went (If I Stay, #2)Where She Went (If I Stay #2)
By Gayle Forman
Published by Dutton Juvenile
Bought Paperback
264 pages

"It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.

Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future-and each other."-
Goodreads



Where She Went is a breath-taking read. Gayle Forman is a spectacular writer brandishing a rare talent that I think everyone should experience. No one captures a story and creates such amazing characters as her: her writing is truly one in a million.

Just as it's predecessor, Where She Went is raw and undoubtedly one of the most heartbreaking - yet completely beautiful reads. When you're reading, you do not just feel for the characters (namely, Adam) - you feel them. You will completely be immersed in Adam's emotions. Its like the pages ooze his thoughts and deepest feelings.... that connection is indescribable.  If you have any doubts about Adam narrating the book, put that fear away and lock it up because honey, you want to experience the pain, torture, and later joy through his eyes. In the beginning, Mia seems like a distant mirage almost, but later her persona shines forth - changed from the previous book obviously - but still the Mia I grew to love. Their connection is palatable and I can sincerely say, they are one of my favourite couples because of their realness and deep-rooted friendship.

Where She Went picks up three years after Mia left for Juilliard. Through Adam, we see some things that have transpired in "flashbacks" if you would call it that. Especially regarding the aftermath of the accident. I really enjoyed this and some memories brought a smile to my face. Forman's writing will have you on an emotional roller coaster. Somehow the reader is left feeling happy - a hopeful happy, with a touch of sadness, by the end. Its hard to explain exactly what emotions boiled within me. I found that the pacing of this book was nice and all the while I was hoping for a nice ending (as for telling you if it does end that way, my lips are sealed) all I can say is I am deeply satisfied.

I'd highly recommend Where She Went to those who have read If I Stay. I'd recommend this series to everyone who can handle epic romances that may have some side effects, namely heart breaking, crying, laughing, smiling, and ultimately loving. Its true that this series is intense but its the best kind of intense.

Excerpt

My gaze returns to earth and when it does, its her eyes I see. Not the way I used to see them - around every corner, behind my own closed lids at the start of each day. Not in the way I used to imagine them in the eyes of every other girl I laid on top of. No, this time it really is her eyes. A photo of her, dressed in black, a cello leaning against one shoulder like a tired child. Her hair is up in one of those buns that seem to be a requisite for classical musicians. She used to wear it up like that for recitals and chamber music concerts, but with little pieces hanging down, to soften the severity of the look. There are no tendrils in this photo. I peer closer at the sign. YOUNG CONCERT SERIES PRESENTS MIA HALL.

Book Trailer


2 comments:

  1. Lovelovelove this book and since it's one of my ultimate favorites, I get happy when I see anyone that's read and loved it as well.

    Fantastic review, too! You're so eloquent whereas I'm a slightly crazy fangirl in my review. hah :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cover! Great review :) I'll have to look for this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I read and appreciate every single one! I <3 to hear your thoughts so don't be afraid to say whats on your mind!!