Friday, October 4, 2013

Review for Onyx (Lux #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

13047090Onyx (Lux #2)
By Jennifer L. Armentrout
Published August 14, 2012 by Entangled Teen
Borrowed from Library
366 pages
"Being connected to Daemon Black sucks.
Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon's determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I've sworn him off, even though he's running more hot than cold these days. But we've got bigger problems.
Something worse than the Arum has come to town.
The Department of Defense are here. If they ever out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I'm a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who's got a secret of his own. He knows what's happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.
But then everything changesI've seen someone who shouldn't be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he's never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them - from me?
No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lie." ~ Goodreads
 

Obsidian was a fall-hard book that left me breathless and wanting more. Could the series' next book Onyx fill the big shoes left behind? You bet it could. Although there was room to spare as I wouldn't go as far to say it was better.

Ms. Armentrout's way of writing is simplistic; it didn't hammer me over the head with long sentences and confusing phrases. Instead, her words effectively carried me along clearly throughout the scenes. It takes little effort to become sucked into Katy's world. Speaking of Katy, she is a character that I find relatible and easy to imagine myself being friends with (it helps that she is a book addict AND blogger). However, her denial towards Daemon's affections got on my nerves - accept it girl, I would! With that being said, if you are a fan rooting for Katy and Daemon I can assure you not to worry about them relationship wise, They have that same sizzling connection and Daemon holds many surprises for us. Daemon reveals more of himself, but stays true to what we know of him - the ever sarcastic and jerkface he is (don't be fooled, he's lovable). The fact that he gave the new "love interest" nicknames was hilarious!

The plot took me on its highs and lows - I felt every bump along the way. It was definetly relationship focused, but personally I found it engaging. More information regarding the DOD and some other 'mysteries' are revealed in their due time, yet are quickly replaced with more! And that ending... beware. Ms. Armentrout has skill.  She left me gripping the pages.

I highly recommend Onyx to lovers of the first book, romance, sexy aliens, and a series of events that will leave you wondering, "what's next". I warn you, this series will chain you to it and not let you go!

BOOK TRAILER