Monday, December 15, 2014

Review for Princess of Glass by Jessica Day George

7199667Princess of Glass (Princess #2)
By Jessica Day George
Published May 25th 2010 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Ebook from Library
266 pages

"Hoping to escape the troubles in her kingdom, Princess Poppy reluctantly agrees to take part in a royal exchange program, whereby young princes and princesses travel to each other's countries in the name of better political alliances--and potential marriages. It's got the makings of a fairy tale--until a hapless servant named Eleanor is tricked by a vengeful fairy godmother into competing with Poppy for the eligible prince. Ballgowns, cinders, and enchanted glass slippers fly in this romantic and action-packed happily-ever-after quest from an author with a flair for embroidering tales in her own delightful way." ~ Goodreads


Review

In a reading slump? Want a book you can pick up and finish in two sittings? One that leaves you feeling uplifted and content? Princess of Glass is the match for you.

I enjoyed this one much more than the first. Probably due to the fact that I loved the main character-Poppy's fiestiness and sass made things entertaining. The royal family she was staying with were sublime. The tender relationship between Poppy and her mother's cousin's daughter (mouthful there) was so sweet. They paired together really well and had each other's back. The visiting prince may not have been the one for me, but he had some very redeemable qualities. He was witty, courageous, and very caring towards Poppy. Plus, he was different from Galen (first book), which I quite liked. The villian didn't have me shaking in my boots, but I was very uncomfortable. As for the person who was the equivilent of Cinderella, she annoyed me at first. As time went on, that changed slightly, but I never came to fully appreciate her character.

Jessica Day George is a master of fairytale spin-offs. She incorporates characteristics from the original, yet twists them to suit her own needs. It's so effortless and smooth. Based around the tale of Cinderella, Princess of Glass may not be what you expect. The originality of it all was fascinating! The ending didn't make a whole lot of sense to me as I felt it was rushed, but I accepted it. As for the pacing, well let's just say I couldn't put it down! There was always something happening.

I highly recommend Princess of Glass to readers who enjoy original fairytale retellings, Jessica Day George ('nuff said there), sweet romance, twists, and simply a smooth, easy read. It makes me so happy to know there is a third book in this series!

Excerpt

"We are equals," she said, "though I am not my father's heir. Why don't you just call me Poppy." She had always thought that "Princess Poppy" sounded too much like a name for a small dog.
"And you must call me Christian," he said, giving her an even warmer smile. Yes, he was terribly handsome.
"Oh, pooh!" Marianne said as she came down the stairs. "I've taken to long and now you're dear friends and I shall be left out."
"That will teach you to spend all day primping," Poppy said, winking at Christian and taking his arm. "Five more minutes, and we would have eloped." 
"I wouldn't put it past you," Marianne said, with a pretend pout.